The in-ear monitors (IEM) aren’t new inventions. However, these surely unassuming devices are performing a buzz nowadays. Health professionals, particularly those who specialize in ear care, emphasize the impact of earbuds on the users’ sense of hearing. The buzz about the effect is amplified because presently, a lot of people use these devices to listen to music on their phones or mp3 players.
In the following article, I will show you the 5 best in-ear monitors for drummer – to not only protect your ears but also to enhance coordination and to improve your skills. The best in-ear monitors for drummers also happen to be the best IEM’s for everyday use as well – they must sound excellent, must provide great noise-isolation, they should be suitable, and they should be strong enough to last a while.
|Audio-Technica ATH-IM70 Dual symphonic-driver In-ear Monitor headphones(Japan Import)||125 Reviews||$160.82||Buy on Amazon|
|MEE audio M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician's in-Ear Monitors with Detachable Cables...||1838 Reviews||$148.86||Buy on Amazon|
|Westone - Old Model - UM Pro30 High Performance Triple Driver Universal Fit Earphones - Smoke -...||75 Reviews||$369.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Shure SE215-CL Sound Isolating Earphones with Single Dynamic MicroDriver||3232 Reviews||$99.00||Buy on Amazon|
|SoundMAGIC E80 Reference Series Flagship Noise Isolating In-Ear Headphones with Comply Ear Tips -...||52 Reviews||$74.88||Buy on Amazon|
#1 Audio-Technica ATH-IM70 Dual symphonic-driver In-ear Monitor (Japan Import)
- Driver Dynamic/8.8mm
- Output Sound Pressure Level 108 dB/mW
- Connector 3.5mm gold-plated stereo mini plug (L-shaped)
- Accessories Case, Silicone earpieces (S,M,L), Comply foam earpieces (M size)
- Impedence 10ohms
Performance: The Audio Techinca ATH-IM70 in-ear monitors are used by many professionals and are the first for many of those. Picking the best model among the huge variety of monitors available seems to be a daunting task as you just cannot spend aimlessly on anything. Although pricey, performance is not something that need concern you with this in-ear monitor. Its noise canceling proficiency is the stuff of legends. This in-ear monitor will not only isolate sound and protect your ear drums, it also provides the wearer with high sound quality.
Pros and Cons
#2 MEE audio M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s in-Ear Monitors
- Connectivity Technology: Wired
- Universal-fit noise-isolating in-ear monitors perfect for use on and off the stage
- Studio-tuned sound with crystal clarity and deep bass
- Comfortable and secure in the ear with detachable cables for added durability
- Headset cable features mic, remote, and volume control for use with smartphones and tablets
Without having to spend so much, you can get a decent pair of in-ear monitors that you can use whether you’re performing live, practicing or recording in the studio and even for just casual music listening or chatting on your phone (remember, this one has a mic). The MEE Audio M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s In-Ear Monitors is definitely the practical choice.
Pros and Cons
#3 Westone – Old Model – UM Pro30 High Performance Triple Driver Universal Fit Earphones
- Three-way crossover matched to individual low, mid and high-frequency drivers
- Up and Over cable routing helps prevent microphonics and keeps the earphone securely in place
- 25dB of ambient noise reduction; Sensitivity: 124 dB @ 1 mW; Frequency response: 20 Hz - 18 kHz
- Recommended for all singers and musicians
- Includes: EPIC replaceable cable, premium comfort tips, mini-monitor vault, cleaning tool, and 2-year warranty
The product is able to produce sounds that are high and bright but is accompanied by depth and clarity. Although the most prominent of the three combined, the highs do not alter the quality of the sound produced. Cymbals cut through with crispness.
With over 50 years of experience, Westone has managed to create a light, low-profile, universal in-ear plug on par with its custom fit rivals. The up-and-over design keeps the earphones in place while its low-profile keeps them out of the way. Westone has been in the business for a long time. And, it shows with the quality and craftsmanship. The earphones are light but sturdy. The EPIC cable is braided and reinforced for ultimate strength. They are also replaceable for added convenience.
Pros and Cons
#4 Shure SE215-CL Sound Isolating Earphones with Single Dynamic MicroDriver
- "-CL" designates the product's color variation (clear).
- Evolved from personal monitor technology that's been road-tested by pro musicians, the SE215 offers detailed sound with enhanced bass for personal listening or professional monitoring.
- Comfortable sound isolating sleeves block up to 37 dB of ambient noise. Sound isolation technology prevents outside noise from interfering with your listening experience, whether on-stage or on-the-go.
- Lightweight, low-profile shape with optimized nozzle angle is designed to rest comfortably in the ear.
- Durable reinforced cable allows easy replacement or customization. Formable wire ensures secure placement, and over-the-ear configuration keeps cables out of the way. Gold plated MMCX Connector has a lock-snap mechanism allowing 360-degree rotation for comfortable fit.
If you have a tight budget but still want some decent sounding in-ear monitors, the Shure SE215-CL are a great choice.
As far as the construction goes they are pretty solid. The wires are detachable which is great if you ever need repairs. The earbuds sit deep in your ear canal so they don’t stick out like other IEM’s do sometimes.
These are definitely bass-heavy which might be a problem if you are listening to something like heavy metal where the bass will drown out some of the other instruments.
The sound quality here won’t compare to the other options on the list, but for the low price it’s hard to look past.
Pros and Cons
#5 SoundMAGIC E80 Reference Series Flagship Noise Isolating In-Ear Headphones
- Flagship model of the Reference Series of in-ear headphones, offering accurate and well balanced sound signature
- Wide sound stage, with natural balance, clear highs and details across the full spectrum
- Hardened aluminium housing with reduced vibration. Music is delivered with outstanding detail and balance.
- Includes three types of silicone eartips in different sizes and shapes to ensure a perfect fit for your ears.
- Three pairs of Comply(tm) memory foam eartips in different sizes are also included for maximum noise isolation and superior audio experience.
A great thing about the earphones is that they are also very comfortable, and one shouldn’t really have any issues wearing for longer periods of time. Another good thing is that the earphones made of high strength aluminum, which make them highly durable and definitely will stand the test of times. One important thing to note is that the SoundMagic E80s don’t have an inline remote. They’re intended as an “audiophile” earphone, and therefore place the sound at the top of the priority list over bonus features. SoundMAGIC E80C comes with two different types of S/M/L eartips, a pair of double flange eartip along with a set of comply eartips.
Pros and Cons