Technology continually changes the world around us, and the DJ “field” is not an exception. With the growing popularity of digital-based settings, we’ve come across some convenient and flexible DJ equipments, especially for beginners. Through some studies, we found a list of 5 best DJ controllers for beginners.
Equipments for a beginner DJ
With young people who are new to this field, there will be many confused and unknown what should equip themselves. But with a DJ stepping into the profession, the essential thing for you is the spirit and the music player.
The spirit is up, then the next thing you need to do is to equip yourself with “gear” to play music. The gear you will need to prepare is a two-channel mixer, speakers, two input devices such as a turntable or CD deck and headphone. As a “newbie” it is not necessary to have your equipment used in a high-tech environment.
For a beginner, You just need an affordable DJ controller which have enough functionality in the course of training, in the process of learning.
What is a DJ controller
A DJ controller is an external device that you connect to your computer to simulate the DJ setup and the overall workflow. You can scratch, mix, control effects and navigate through your library in the computer. Previously, it was made up of traditional DJ turntables and DJ mixers – however, the technology now allows us to combine them into a piece of equipment that syncs seamlessly with your computer.
How to choose the DJ controller for beginners
We will give some consideration to consider when buying DJ controllers. Here is a list that you can refer to:
- What is your budget? The price range is relatively broad and depending on your budget. However, the DJ controllers make towards beginners at reasonably affordable prices.
- What functions do you need? There are scratch-plates, integrated audio interfaces, faders, knobs and sliders for essential effects, performance goggles, and many external controls you can get with DJ controllers.
- Which DJ software are you using? Some popular DJ controllers work for all software, while other DJ controllers specifically create for that software.
List of 5 Best DJ Controllers for a Beginner
#1 Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 DJ Controller
- Numark MIxtrackPro 3 DJ Controller for Serato, All-in-one Controller Solution for Serato DJ
- Touch-Capacitive Knobs
- Free pair of Novik fnk5 Mic
- Free RCA cable
- ProSoundGear Full Warranty
We want to choose a DJ controller that is capable of providing you with all the features and can bring beginners to an all-in-one experience. First of all, DJ Numark DJ Equipment is one of the biggest names in the DJ industry, so we are confident of the prestige of the brand. They own a significant portion of the market for DJ controllers and popularity, and Mixtrack 3 is one of the favorites of most beginners.
To make the Numark Mixtrack 3 the best start-up DJ, first, it has two units to scratch the turntable. It has excellent quality, and you can also stop a track by touching the upper part of the platter. You can also adjust the pitch of the original song and feel the loop, sample and hot cue mode so you can enjoy the sound of your music even more. The mixer in the center is also excellent: You’ll get a vertical fader, an EQ 3 band that can comfortably play with levels and filters, and an excellent plus for library navigation. In case you want to do all the work from the DJ desk and not have to spend time with your mouse to browse songs and sounds.
Also, the needle search function first appeared to make the DJ Numark Mixtrack 3 indeed a different distance from the other DJ controller. The needle finder function allows you to freely transform with effects or find the exact position in the track. The swingarm is made of 2-part metal, which gives the variation of the scratches, the speed, and the precise adjustment to each cup. Besides, the tempo slider is extended up to 100 mm which makes it possible to synchronize to the smallest tone.
If you do not have a DJ software that comes with your DJ controller, then you can try Mixtrack 3 with Virtual DJ LE. It allows you to get started with stripping and mixing music. The Numark Mixtrack 3 is a solid choice and can be said to be one of the best DJs for beginners.
#2 Hercules DJ 4780861 Djcontrol Instinct P8 DJ Controller
- Dual-deck DJ controller with 2 pressure-detecting jog wheels, Mixer controls in the center, and individual deck controls on the left and right
- 8 sample pads with multicolored lighting, allowing better comprehension
- Built-in sound card with 2 RCA outputs for mixing and a 1.8"/3.5 mm mini-jack stereo output for previewing tracks on headphones
- Combined with the latest version of DJUCED 40 Degree, the DJControl Instinct P8 provides a complete experience, from mixing to performance!
- Detachable USB cable; Easy to install; No drivers required; PC / Mac compatible
Hercules has introduced the DJ Control Instinct P8 DJ Controller, the updated version of the DJ Control Instinct controller. It is a two-channel compact controller with jog-wheel and rubber tabs used by the DJUCED 4.0 software as soon as you buy this DJ console. It also comes with its audio interface, and it also owns a pair of RCA Master outputs and a 1/8 “headphone jack for DJs to simply set up a party setting at Small space locations.
We thought original Hercules DJ Control Instinct is an excellent choice for those who want to experience the DJ world without spending too much on their equipment. DJ Control Instinct P8 continues its budget-friendly tradition, but with its new set of features and updated dashboards for modern digital DJs has just started.
#3 BEHRINGER CMD STUDIO 4a DJ controller
- Highly integrated 4-deck controller with built-in 4-channel USB audio interface
- Deckadance* LE DJ software voucher from Image-Line included
- Compatible with popular DJ software including Native Instruments Traktor*, Serato Scratch Live*, Ableton Live* and any other MIDI-compatible programs
- Powerful 4-channel USB audio interface with 24-bit converters and ultra-low latency operation under Windows* and OS X* operating systems
- Large 6" touch-sensitive high-resolution control platters for precise control
DJ Behringer CMD Studio 4A is a four-deck MIDI DJ controller that features a built-in four-channel USB audio interface. It has 2 6 inch sensitive hard disk sensors as well as backlit buttons that correspond to what is happening in your software. The mixer has a vertical fader, a tri-band EQ, FX assign, and hints and load tracking. The CMD Studio 4A has a total of 8 hot cue and 2 FX modules. It supports library redirection, loop control, and key lock. The CMD Studio 4A is extensible with other CMD controllers. Also, DJ Behringer CMD Studio 4A also comes with DJ software.
#4 Pioneer DJ DDJ-SB2 Portable 2-channel controller for Serato DJ
- Hit the top 4 rubber pads to trigger Hot Cue, Auto Loop, Manual Loop and Sampler, and the bottom 4 for immediate access to Play, Cue, Sync and Shift
- The DDJ-SB2 features large, low-latency jog wheels to give you great scratch response and accuracy
- Use the trim knob and level meters to quickly check and adjust the input volume on each channel
- Independent low/high pass filter dials are inherited from the premium DDJ-SX2 and DDJ-SR controllers
- Hit Filter Fade to add 2 high pass filters to the crossfader so you can manipulate both the volume and bass filters with one hand for effortless mixes. That leaves the other hand free to get creative with loops, cue, samples and FX
High-quality materials and sound circuitry design DJ Pioneer DDJ-SB2. With its robust design, it guarantees excellent durability. With solid surface and square edge, the device is still equipped with a large size surface and is designed slightly submersible than the cover for you to feel comfortable, good response when scratch.
Selecting a Filter Fade uses a filter on the vertical fader, and you only need one hand to operate the bass-volume filter on the other, making it easy for the other side to perform different techniques such as Loops, Cue, Samples, and FX.
Get involved with the plug-and-play control of the Serato DJ, with dedicated buttons for FX and advanced features such as Beat Jump, Slip mode, what you need to do is connect the laptop has a section soft Serato. No more having to use a sound card, with the built-in sound card, now what you need to do is connect directly to the device to the speaker or amplifier. You can join the DJ desk to your laptop with a fast and straightforward USB power cord.
#5 Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S2 MK2 DJ Controller
- Updated MK2 hardware with new duo-tone design and improved fader reliability
- Plug-and-play support for hands-on control over TRAKTOR DJ for iPad and iPhone
- Silicone-damped jog wheels with aluminum top plates for high-resolution cueing and scratching
- Highly-intuitive 2+1 channel DJ performance system and flagship Traktor Pro 2 software with Remix Decks
- Plug and play with Traktor DJ for iPad and iPhone: Provides precision control, cueing, and club-ready output levels
DJ Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S2 MK2 features a highly responsive Backlit, RGB button, and a bright, highlighted, interactive interface that allows you to control the sound even in dark conditions. Another point is the S2 hardware is compact, very convenient to move. A DJ repertoire is displayed visually through the knob, and the joystick makes it easy to operate even when you are just entering the DJ playing field.
Another highlight is its ability to link with other devices, giving you the convenience of moving anywhere. In addition to connecting to PC and Mac as the same product, it combines with DJ Tran on the both iPhone and iPad, so you will easily control on your iOS device.
Also, the Traktor Kontrol S2 MK2 is a complete masterpiece between S2 hardware and Traktor Pro 2 DJ software with pre-set modes such as Flux Mode to help you make the mix easier. Besides, the Kontrol S2 MK2 features two channel mixers and a 24-bit / 96kHz sound card that delivers everything you need to create a great sound.
Here are some of our suggestions about DJ controller for beginners. Hopefully, by this analysis and evaluation, you can choose the right DJ controller to start your adventure with music in the most convenient way.